— Summarized by Dr. Teitelbaum
1. Read His Book
Read Dr. Nathan's book, Mold and Mycotoxins.
2. Urine Mycotoxin Test
Dr. Nathan recommends doing a urine mycotoxin test from RealTime Laboratories. This costs about $700. Its main benefit is that the treatment may take 6 to 24 months to begin helping, as the toxins have to get below a certain level before benefit is seen, and a repeat of the test allows a person to see that the toxin levels are significantly dropping even if they are not feeling better yet. This provides motivation to continue with treatment.
If mold is in the environment, he recommends remediation of the environment. The neurotoxins may have been picked up decades before, however, and often will no longer be present.
4. Binding Toxins
Dr. Nathan recommends a mix of the following, but to start with a very low dose and raise slowly to avoid flaring symptoms. In addition, they will bind other supplements or medications taken within two hours of either side of a dose. It's best to take these 30 minutes before meals (e.g., before lunch and dinner).
- Cholestyramine (predominantly for ochratoxin) 1/8 to 1/16 teaspoon twice a day a half hour before meals.
- Bentonite capsules 1 to 2 daily (from Premier Labs).
- Activated charcoal capsules (avoid the tablets and powders as they are messy) 1 to 3 capsules a day (from Integrative Therapeutics).
- Chlorella capsules (not the pellets) 1 to 3 capsules a day (from Body Bio).
For the latter three, take one or all three at about 3 PM each day between meals. As advised before, start with a very low dose and raise gradually to avoid flaring symptoms. Do not take other supplements or medications within two hours of the dose as absorption will be blocked.
5. Kill the Mold Within the Person
- EDTA 5 mg per spray nose spray for six months (can use BEG or ITC Pharmacy sinusitis nose sprays).
- Sporanox 200 mg once or twice daily (Dr. Nathan feels that this works better for toxin-producing mold than Diflucan). I recommend using it for 6 to 12 weeks as the key treatment for this part.
- Interphase plus EDTA orally.
Dr. Nathan feels it takes 6 to 24 months to feel better, but that this regimen helps over 40% of people who respond poorly to other protocols. He recommends taking glutathione to mobilize toxins, but suggests waiting until the person has been on the above treatments for a few months to avoid having the glutathione flare symptoms by mobilizing the toxins.
Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. is one of the world's leading integrative medical authorities on fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. He is the lead author of four research studies on their treatments, and has published numerous health & wellness books, including the bestseller on fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome From Fatigued to Fantastic! and his newer The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution. Dr. Teitelbaum is one of the most frequently quoted fibromyalgia experts in the world and appears often as a guest on news and talk shows nationwide including Good Morning America, The Dr. Oz Show, Oprah & Friends, CNN, and Fox News Health.