This is part 6 in my "Fatigue & Fibromyalgia Are Optional" series. This week's Brain Fog Friendly (BFF) Summary addresses infections and immunity. (From my newest edition of From Fatigued to Fantastic!)
- The most common chronic infection we see is from Candida (yeast or fungal) overgrowth.
- There is no reliable test for Candida.
- Suspect Candida if you have chronic nasal congestion, sinusitis, or irritable bowel syndrome.
- Fungal overgrowth may suppress the body’s immune system while also triggering food sensitivities.
- The most important part of eliminating yeast overgrowth is avoiding sugar and other sweets, although I will add the three magic words: "except for chocolate." There are many awesome sugar-free chocolates (ERND, Lily's, The Good Chocolate, and others).
- Treatment is with:
- Probiotics (I like Pearls Elite™, 1 a day).
- Herbals. I especially like Berberine MetX™ (500 mg 2-3x per day for 3 months, then as needed).
- Most important is the medication fluconazole (Diflucan). I give 200 milligrams a day for six weeks. You will need a holistic physician to get this prescription.
- For chronic sinusitis, I add a prescription compounded nose spray called the Sinusitis Nose Spray (from ITC Pharmacy, 1-888-349-5453). This should be taken along with the fluconazole.
- Killing off Candida may initially flare your symptoms. I recommend people start slowly and ease back on any treatments you're taking.
- Bladder infections can often be prevented or eliminated with a supplement called d-mannose.
- Autoimmune illness is becoming more common because of excessive chemicals in the environment along with changes brought about by food processing.
Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. is one of the world's leading integrative medical authorities on fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. He is the lead author of eight research studies on their effective treatments, and has published numerous health & wellness books, including the bestseller on fibromyalgia From Fatigued to Fantastic! and The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution. Dr. Teitelbaum is one of the most frequently quoted fibromyalgia experts in the world and appears often as a guest on news and talk shows nationwide including Good Morning America, The Dr. Oz Show, Oprah & Friends, CNN, and Fox News Health.